Riders can take in the full beauty of the Waikato River with a two hour cycle journey from Hamilton Gardens all the way to Ngaruawahia and between Cambridge and Lake Karapiro. The track is primarily wide, smooth and largely flat making Te Awa suitable for cyclists of all fitness and experience levels. The full trail stretches along the Waikato River, from Ngaruawahia in the north to Karapiro in the south.
For more information on the trail visit www.te-awa.org.nz
At a glance
- Grade 2 (easy)
- Distance: 70km
- Access: This ride can be accessed at various points along the trail.
- Please note some sections are on the road, see the Te Awa website for more details and maps: www.te-awa.org.nz
- Hamilton Gardens to Cambridge section is under construction
- River views and a mix of rural and urban landscapes
- Wide track suitable for social riding
- Stunning views of Lake Karapiro and a 400m boardwalk around the edge of the lake
- Perry Bridge - an iconic 120m cycle/walk suspension bridge at Horotiu
Te Awa Walkway
The Te Awa River Ride also includes shared cycle/walkway sections. To view a map of the Te Awa walkway click here