Developing a plan to get started:
- Make a plan towards paying at least the living wage to all staff. This should include an analysis of the market to ensure the salaries you offer for all positions are competitive.
- Review the conditions of your staff and investigate other conditions you could include as benefits.
- Ensure you have staff induction and training processes in place for new staff
- Develop an organisational chart for your business and a job description for every staff member.
- Be an inclusive employer and celebrate the diversity of your workforce. Ensure your policies reflect this.
- Utilise existing programmes (such as Go With Tourism) to attract and retain talent. Focus on employing New Zealanders where they're available.
- Support initiatives and programmes (such as Go With Tourism) that showcase the tourism industry's attractiveness to young New Zealanders.
- Undertake regular performance reviews of all your staff.
- Put systems in place to capture feedback and satisfaction levels from staff.
- Talk about your company culture in your internal and external communications.
For more information and to download an action plan template, visit Sustainable Tourism.