Labour Recruitment & Retention Webinar
In August 2022, Hamilton & Waikato Tourism hosted a webinar on the challenges and solutions for labour retention and recruitment in the tourism, events and hospitality sectors, which was presented by Senga Allen from Everest. Key highlights included:
- Employer Brand
- Businesses MUST consider how to position themselves as an employer of choice.
- Regenerative tourism is now a focus for the sector – positive contribution to our communities.
- Create better employee experiences – this doesn’t start and end with salary and benefits.
- Storytelling and industry messaging – share success stories and why working in our sectors is fun and rewarding.
- Candidate Expectations
- HIGH expectations – clear about what’s important to them (purpose and values) and they know their worth.
- Employee benefits continue to attract e.g flexible working environment.
- Approx. 75% of applicants view and apply for roles from mobile phones – ensure job adverts are short & sharp and clear on the role & benefits.
- Induction and Onboarding
- Manage and discuss expectations – don’t overpromise and underdeliver.
- Set aside adequate time for thorough induction process – 6- and 12-week check ins.
- Retention Strategies
- Lifelong learning – professional development opportunities.
- Challenging and exciting work.
- Retention is golden – we can’t stop people headhunting, the only action is to ensure we offer great places to work.
View webinar recording
Running a successful business is a team effort. The team of specialists from Everest are ready to work with your team; to build capability and culture, provide practical human resource solutions and workplace advice, recruitment, training and coaching.
- Local people working for local businesses
- Training and coaching
- Human Resources
- Psychometric Tools and Assessments
- Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Employee Support
- Change Management
Everest also provide a range of free online training including:
- Giving and Receiving Feedback
- Recruitment in a tough market
- Conflict Management
- Handling a Bullying Complaint
- Personality clashes in the workplace
- Effective performance reviews
GO WAIKATO – Recruiting the Best Talent
Everest & HGB are collaborating on a ‘Recruitment marketing & talent acquisition’ strategy for the tourism, hospitality and events sectors. Recruiting the best talent requires more than posting a job advert on Seek and TradeMe and waiting for the candidates to roll in.
This strategy discusses the growing importance of social media in the recruitment process.
This platform is currently in the early stages of development - more information will be available soon.
GO WITH TOURISM
Go with Tourism is a government initiative that aims to grow New Zealand’s Tourism and Hospitality workforce. They encourage people to understand our exciting industry better and seek a career from the huge range of opportunities available. They offer free services, information and resources for jobseekers, employers, students and teachers.
The team from Tourism Talent are passionate about changing the way our industry recruits and develops talent. They are experienced tourism professionals focused on connecting great businesses with outstanding people.
- Tourism recruitment specialists
- Focus on ‘head hunt’ approach rather than advertising