Te Ara Kakariki
Te Ara Kakariki is Raglan's newest mountainbike trail, located at Wainui Reserve. The grade 2 (easy) tracks, including the Ocean Trail, are perfect for families, whilst more challenging sections are great for the more advanced biker.
Mount Karioi Loop
Mount Karioi Loop is a challenging half-day ride, boasting views of the coast and surrounding farmland. The loop starts and finishes in Raglan.
The 45km track circles Mount Karioi on both gravel and sealed roads. It offers winding uphill climbs and speedy downhills to thrill experienced riders.
Pipiwharauroa Trail, located south of Raglan, winds through Te Uku wind farm and gives riders a chance to view the 137m high wind turbines up close.
The 18km ride covers steep to rolling terrain and offers 360 degree views over the Hamilton & Waikato region.
Note: The Pipiwharauroa Trail crosses private farmland and riders are asked to keep to the track.
For more information on the Pipiwharauroa Cycle Trail visit www.waikatodistrict.govt.nz.
Both tracks require a reasonable level of fitness and offer great views of Raglan, Aotea and Kawhia harbours. On a clear day riders may be able to see south to Mount Taranaki from either track.
Raglan Cycle Trails Highlights
- Mount Karioi Loop: Winding uphill climbs and speedy downhills
- Pipiwharauroa trail: 360 degree views over the Hamilton & Waikato region
- Te Ara Kakariki: Raglan's newest trail
Raglan Cycle Trails - At a glance
- Grade 3 (Intermediate)
- Distance: Mount Karioi Loop – 45km, Pipiwharauroa Trail - 18km return
- Access: Mount Karioi Loop starts and finishes in Raglan. Pipiwharauroa Trail is signposted from Te Mata Rd, off State Highway 23 between Raglan and Hamilton. Te Ara Kakariki starts on Riria Kereopa Memorial Drive, Raglan.
Raglan also plays host to the Karioi Classic Mountain Bike challenge each year. The 46km race takes participants around the beautiful rugged west coast terrain of Karioi Mountain and the Raglan Coastline including a gruelling 12km uphill climb. For more information visit www.karioiclassic.org.nz.