Visiting from out of town?
From inner city hotels and motels to rural lodges and beachside holiday parks, the region boasts a range of accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes.
- Novotel Tainui Hamilton: On the banks of the Waikato River, within a short distance of the Hamilton City section of the Te Awa cycleway, Novotel offers all the creature comforts of a large hotel.
- Jet Park Hotel Hamilton Airport: Conveniently located adjacent to Hamilton Airport. Enjoy a quiet setting, home-style food, and replenishing outdoor spaces at Jet Park Hotel Hamilton Airport.
- Distinction Hotel Hamilton: Boasting 147 rooms and suites, many refurbished in 2017, free unlimited Wi-Fi, restaurant & bar, fitness centre, indoor swimming pool & spa pools.
- Ibis Tainui Hamilton: The hotel presents the only restaurant in the city with breath taking views of the Waikato River - a great place to enjoy unique local flavours
- Ventura Inn & Suites Hamilton: A warm welcome that's worth checking into - Ventura is great value accommodation for a night away.
- Podium Lodge: Modern 86-bed facility, offering a unique accommodation experience in a peaceful rural setting.
- Ramada by Wyndham: 69-room, 3+ star hotel features a variety of room categories to suit every traveller.
- Heartland Ambassador Hotel Hamilton: Located in the heart of the city, Heartland Ambassador Hotel Hamilton is within a short walking distance to FMG Waikato Stadium
- Hidden Lake Hotel & Apartments: Boutique and contemporary accommodation situated in the heritage town of Cambridge.
- Castaways Resort: Enjoy ocean front studio or chalet accommodation. All accommodation has sea views, super king beds, wireless internet, Sky TV, kitchenettes as well as private decks.
From meandering through stunning gardens to discovering picturesque waterfalls and climbing to mountaintop views - there are plenty of free attractions to enjoy in the Mighty Waikato.
- Waiorongomai Valley: Step back into gold mining history as you explore the Waiorongomai Valley in Te Aroha
- Wairere Falls: Walk the Wairere Falls track near Matamata for stunning views of the falls and out over the region
- Otorohanga Kiwiana Walk: Pick up a quiz sheet from the Otorohanga isite and look for clues on the Ed Hillary walkways
- Hamilton Gardens: Download and follow the Hamilton Gardens Children's Discovery Trail activity sheet
- Mangaokewa Scenic Reserve: Explore the attractive bush walk to the Cascade Waterfalls
- Hamilton Lake Domain: Stroll around the lake and let the kids loose on the playground
- Hakarimata Walkway: Visit ancient Kauri trees, tackle the summit stairs or try the family friendly rail trail track
- Gallagher Bike Skills Park: Helps your children to learn essential bike skills in a safe environment
- Mokena Geyser: Watch the world's only naturally hot soda water geyser erupt every 40 minutes in Te Aroha - while you are there check out the free foot pools in the domain
- Kawahia Hotwater Beach: Dig your own natural spa in the sand, with stunning views to match.
- Cycle Trails: From the banks of the Waikato River to the ancient Pureora Forest, there are many cycle trails to enjoy. Download our Waikato cycle trails guide for families here
- Plus much more
Flying to Hamilton?
With direct flights daily from Wellington, Christchurch and more, it's easy for the extended family to fly to the Waikato for a visit this summer.
- Find Flights: Fly direct to Hamilton airport. With taxis and Uber it is super easy to get to the city centre from the airport.
- Hertz Hamilton: Conveniently located at Hamilton Airport, you can hop off the plane and grab a rental car from Hertz.
From underground adventure and Middle-earth movie magic to wildlife encounters and inn-city fun - there are plenty of great activities to enjoy this summer.
- Bowl & Social at SkyCity Hamilton: Check out SkyCity Hamilton's Bowl & Social for ten pin bowling, great food and timezone games.
- Waikato Museum: With top art, history and interactive kids exhibitions the Waikato Museum is a perfect indoor activity for the entire family.
- Zealong Tea Estate: Treat yourself to a high tea overlooking the stunning tea plantation.
- Waitomo Glowworm Caves: Visit the world famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves and gaze in awe at the galaxy of glowworms.
- Hobbiton Movie Set: Discover movie magic with a guided tour through the permanent set as seen in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.
- Hamilton Gardens: Explore the award-winning Hamilton Gardens and discover different civilisations and historically important garden styles from the farthest reaches of the world.
- Waitomo Adventures: Get your adrenaline pumping with a zipline, abseil or black water rafting trip with Waitomo Adventures, or try their family friendly tour, the Troll Cave.
- Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari: Discover walks through native forest for close encounters with birdlife and reptiles.
- Hamilton Zoo: Home to over 600 native and exotic animals and set amidst 25ha of lush and tranquil surroundings, Hamilton Zoo is the destination for a memorable day out.
- Hampton Downs: Challenge friends and family to a few laps of go-karting at Hampton Downs and get the blood pumping with a V8 Muscle Car or Supercar experience.
- The Sculpture Park at Waitakaruru Arboretum: Take a walk along the beautiful 2km art-in-nature trail and discover more than 100 sculptures and rare trees along the way.
- Cornerstone Alpaca Stud: Experience the ultimate alpaca experience with one of Cornerstone Alpaca Farm Tours, where you can meet and feed beautiful alpacas.
- Thundercross Valley: Thundercross is a unique dirt bike park in New Zealand with tracks, bike hire and tuition all in the same place.
- Riverside Adventures: Riverside Adventure’s shuttle service is available to pick up and drop off any adventurers at Te Awa River Ride, Hauraki Rail Trail and the Timber Trail. If you’re after gear hire, Riverside Adventures has got regular bikes, e-bikes and accessories to make a day of it.
- Hamilton Golf Club: Visit Hamilton Golf Club at St. Andrews - one of New Zealand's premier golf clubs, welcoming members, the visiting golf enthusiast and its locals for golf or a relaxing coffee in MatteBlack Cafe.
- Camjet: Take an Extreme Jet Boat Tour - a breathtaking adrenaline rush to the base of the Karapiro Dam and back to Cambridge.
- Woodlands Historic Homestead and Gardens: Experience a journey into history and appreciate the timeless beauty and refinement of early Victorian lifestyle in rural New Zealand.
- Plus much more.