Once in Hamilton, visitors can explore the city in a variety of ways. Some itinerary suggestions are below:
Day 1: Auckland to Hamilton
Take Te Huia from The Strand, Puhunui or Papakura station. View timetable options here. Travel time 90 minutes from Papakura to Rotokauri.
- Arrive at Rotokauri station at 11.36am
- Taking the Comet bus takes you directly into the city centre where you can enjoy lunch at one of the city’s many eateries.
- Visit Waikato Museum in the heart of Hamilton City to discover the stories of the area, interactive exhibitions and see local and international art on display.
- Next test your skills at SkyCity’s Bowl and Social bowling alley. Their family package is a great option for families for an easy dinner on the go. Otherwise, choose from one of the SkyCity restaurants right downstairs – Burgers anyone?
- For a sweet treat to end the night, visit Duck Island ice cream in The Riverbank Lane to sample their locally produced ice creams with flavour twists. Victoria on the River, next to The Riverbank Lane, is a fantastic place to enjoy your ice cream and take in the sights.
Day 2: Hamilton to Auckland
- Take the bus on route 3 from the Hamilton Transport centre to Hamilton Zoo and spend the morning getting to know their 400+ animals including Sumatran tigers, cheetahs, chimpanzees and white rhinos. Hamilton Zoo has luggage lockers available for use so there is no need to lug your bags around. These are free but need to booked in advance.
- The Zoo’s on-site café is a great option for lunch offering Picnic lunches, tasty burgers, rocket coffee and more.
- Take bus route 3 to Western Heights Drive before changing to The Orbiter (Clockwise – The Base). The Orbiter will take you directly to Rotokauri Station to depart to Auckland. Alternatively, continue on bus route 3 to Queens Ave where it is an easy walk to Frankton Station. View the Te Huia departure timetable here.