Many popular attractions are within a comfortable hour’s drive of Hamilton city, so self-drive is a popular option with many car hire companies on hand to assist if need be. Hamilton and the Waikato is readily accessible – easy to reach and to get around. Flying in, travelling by train or bus are all options.
Some points of interest:
- Hamilton is within 1.5 hours’ drive of the country’s main sea ports of Auckland and Tauranga (Auckland is NZ’s biggest city; Tauranga is home to Mt Maunganui beach – repeatedly voted NZ’s best beach)
- Hamilton and the Waikato’s international gateway is Auckland International Airport, which is just over an hour’s drive from Hamilton city. The Hamilton & Waikato business events team provide a complimentary meet and greet service at Auckland International Airport for large international conferences. This service includes welcoming international delegates and coordinating movement to shuttle buses or car hire
- Hamilton Airport is a 20-minute drive from the central city and services regular flights from Wellington, Christchurch and Palmerston North. It has international charter flight capability.
- The city is the centre of the upper North Island’s recently developed road network
- Its Central North Island location provides easy access to other North Island locations – Rotorua and Taupo, for example are within an easy commute (less than two hours’ drive).
For more information on Visa requirements, click here.